Roots of the Design In the Visegrad Countries
About the project: the main intention of the project is to show the actual existence of the tradition and the effects of folk art on the contemporary design and applied arts in Visegrad countries. We do not intend to organize traditionalist folklore events, but such traveling contemporary art program series that are based on the cultural traditions of the V4 Group.
The project is part of a wider European art initiative: R.E.D. - Roots of the European Design.
The main activities of the project:
- traveling exhibition in Poland, Slovakia and Hungary
- intercultural conference in Hungary
- V4 workshop
- digital research center and virtual exhibition
INTERNATIONAL VISEGRAD FUND
EXHIBITION AND CONFERENCE IN HUNGARY
Location: Hungarian Heritage House, 1011 Budapest, Corvin tér 8.
Date: October 2, 2015.
Presenter: Szári Norbert, Laterna Magica
Free event, interpreters are provided.
The conference and the exhibition are part of the Budapest Design Week events: www.designhet.hu
- 10.00-10.05 Ms Katalin Beszpremy from Hungarian Heritage House greeting the participants
- 10.05-10.20 Mr Daniel Biro as a main organizer of R.E.D. project summarizing the activities
- 10.20-10.50 Angelo Bucci speech: Contemporary traditions / Università Europea del Design - Pescara, Italy
- 10.50-11.20 Jankovics Marcell speech: Alapjelek / Basic signs / Hungarian Academy of Arts, Hungary. (V4 speaker)
- 11.20-11.50 Break
- 11.50-12.20 Michala Lipkova speech: Craft heritage & contemporary design in Slovakia / Slovak University of technology, Institute of Design, Slovakia (V4 speaker)
- 12.20-12.50 Illés Vanda speech: Hungarian Heritage House and the design / Hungarian Heritage House, Hungary (V4 speaker)
- 12.50-13.20 Jasmina Ferček speech: Design as a Dialogue / OLOOP - Institute for Contemporary Textile Art and Design, Slovenia
- 13.20-14.00 Lunch break
- 14.00-14.30 Révész Eszter speech: Future Traditions / Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, Hungary (V4 speaker)
- 14.30-15.00 Jan Kloss and Darina Zavadilova speech: BOTAS 66: The story of rebirth of Czechoslovak footwear legend / Nominated by designSUPERMARKET / Czech Republic (V4 speaker)
- 15.00-15.30 Szentpéteri Márton speech: Folk/design, / Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, Hungary (V4 speaker)
- 15.30-16.00 Break
- 16.00-16.30 Magdalena Duraj speech: Back to the roots / The Academy of Fine Art in Łódź, Poland (V4 speaker)
- 16.30-17.00 Ács Zoltán speech: Folk art as a source of inspiration / Design Terminal, Hungary (V4 speaker)
- 17.30-18.30 Visiting the Open Workshop - Museum of Applied Hungarian Folk Art.
For the audio files and the presentations of the conference click: HERE
Location: Museum of Applied Hungarian Folk Art (Hungarian Heritage House)
Address: 1011 Budapest, Szilágyi Dezső tér 6.
Dates: from October 2 - till October 30, 2015.
Supporter: International Visegrad Fund
Curators: Illés Vanda (HU), Artur Chrzanowski (PL), Martin Zampach (CZ), Lubica Husta (SL).
Winners of the V4 exhibition:
Alexandra Monhartová: BAG & SAC (Czech Republic)
Lázár Zsófia: Pop-up Regions of Hungary (Hungary)
Applied Folk Art and Design
Let's know more about the young designers and the contemporary folk artists of the Open Handicraft Studio (introducing good practices).
Location: Hungarian Heritage House, Open Handicraft Studio, Hungary, 1011 Budapest, Fő utca 6.
Renew your wardrobe with different embroidery stiches
Lace pendant workshop
wattle and leather workshop,
Conversation and workshop with a jewellery designer
Pop-up Hungarian Regions
book "showing" and workshop, interactive book preview
Eco print plants painted and patterned textile exhibition
The aim of the Open Handicraft Studio is to get visitors acquainted with the secrets of the folk handicraft and to let insight the young ones as well as the adults, professionals, students from the Visegrad countries who are interested in folk arts into the collection of the Museum and into the work of the contemporary folk artists.
Fehér Tibor potter és Csuporné Angyal Zsuzsa potter -hungarian gingerbread maker -wood-carver
Teachers of the Folk Craft School Nádudvar exhibition
Video summary about the Hungarian conference and exhibition
EXHIBITION IN SLOVAKIA
ROOTS OF THE DESIGN IN THE VISEGRAD COUNTRIES
Bratislava Design Week
Laurinska 14, Bratislava, Slovakia
DATES: June 8-14, 2015.
EXHIBITION IN POLAND
Location: Muzeum Fabryki. Drewnowska 58, 91-867 Łódź, Poland
Opening ceremony: 17/02/2015. 6PM
Dates: 17-28 February, 2015.
The exhibition include the artworks from the Visegrad Countries
Digital Research Center and Idea Bank
Here will be loaded up all research materials, which describe handicraft techniques that can be useful in the contemporary European design. For these materials the local art committee is responsible, they write and edit them. The language of the files is English, and the materials are include photos too. After the end of the project we would like to expand continually the research centre with new research materials, to continue to inspire with new ideas the European artists and specialists.
Texts by Illés Vanda
The Blue Dyeing (PDF)
The Matyó Culture (PDF)
The Busójárás in Mohács (PDF)
Pastoral Art (PDF)
Cross stitch (PDF)
Bobbin lace (PDF)
Łowicz cut-outs (PDF)
Corn husks (PDF)
Hat-making and felting (PDF)
Wickerwork basketry (PDF)
For more photos and videos: www.facebook.com/euprojectred